Pages

Monday, July 14, 2008

My Elijah


Our first born son, we often call him. What a beautiful mess! That boy is full of new tricks like being able to whistle and wink. I can't believe he just turned 6!! It's true what they say about them growing up so fast.
This weekend we celebrated with a "big boy's only" spend the night party. His brothers were with my mom so it could truly be just the big boys. 3 boys from the neighborhood came over with their sleeping bags and sleep-over gear. As they played super heroes, watched Justice League, ate pizza, popcorn, skittles, and cake, I couldn't help but feeling like I was losing my baby. That he had turned into pre-teen without me knowing it somehow. They were confident, fearless, and mature drinking out of Army canteens with their faces smeared with war paint. Finally came a glimmer of hope when the sugar buzz started wearing off, the paint had been scrubbed clean and teeth brushed. It was time to climb into the tent. Suddenly came the forewarned fear and predicted panic. 2 of the 3 knew they wanted to go home to their own beds. My shout outs to Connor who held out until 10pm! With everyone gone, my own little boy returned to himself, climbed up in between mommy and daddy, and was himself asleep within seconds.
I hummed him Lone Star's 'Let them be Little' as he slept...
Let them be little, cause they are only that way for a while.
Let them cry, Let them giggle,
Let them sleep in the middle.
Oh, just let them be little.

They grow up too fast...
This morning as I sat with my coffee and book waiting to see which of my boys would come down first. I heard footsteps and looked to see it was my Elijah. He came over to me with a huge hug. As I held him and he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes, I said, "Elijah, I had a really fun weekend with you." Always honest, I almost expected him to tell me how it could have been better or something, but his only reply was, "Mom. You Rock!"

2 comments:

Blake said...

I love that boy!

He's right by the way...you do indeed ROCK!

Jamie Grizzle said...

So sweet! Nothing like the relationship between a momma and here son. I can't wait to experience that!